"It is in the home that we form our attitudes, our deeply held beliefs. It is in the home that hope is fostered
or destroyed. Our homes are to be more than sanctuaries; they should also be places where God's Spirit can dwell,
where the storm stops at the door, where love reigns and peace dwells."--President Thomas Spencer Monson

Saturday, September 24, 2011

What matters most

My friend, who is an amazing Mom of three cute kids, asked me one day in class: "How did your Mom and Dad raise 9 kids and all of them are still active in the Church?" I wish I could have answered better.
How does someone raise kids in the Gospel hoping that they'll stay true?

All I could say is they did the things that we've been counseled to do over and over again: prayer, scripture study, family home evening, and I would add also testimony bearing often (and not just in formal setting).
Another thing I would add is counsel from Pres. Benson to have individual interviews with each parent. Some of my favorite memories have been opening up to my Mom and Dad about my life, school, friends, etc. I felt a closer connection with them. I can still remember the stories they told of their life and what an impact that has made on my life.

Out of all the research and the countless studies on families, isn't there something that we could turn to that doesn't change? That's why we have the Proclamation. Set in stone by the Lord through His prophets.  If we can anchor our families to this, we can do this. Everything we do in families if faith based.

I love what President Monson said in this video: "Never let a problem be more important than a person to be loved."

Also a great talk from Elder Ballard entitled "What matters most is what lasts longest". Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

  1. How did you know I needed this video at this time. You are prophetess (Sp?) That was the exact reminder I needed to hear today

    ReplyDelete
  2. such good insights, Jules. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete