"It is in the home that we form our attitudes, our deeply held beliefs. It is in the home that hope is fostered
or destroyed. Our homes are to be more than sanctuaries; they should also be places where God's Spirit can dwell,
where the storm stops at the door, where love reigns and peace dwells."--President Thomas Spencer Monson

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Establishing a legacy of righteousness

I was really intrigued in class this week about the scripture Doctrine and Covenants 93:39 about how the wicked one cometh to take away light and truth through disobedience...and traditions of their fathers.

Bro. Williams talked about traditions are inherit traits passed down from one generation to the next. Every time I hear the phrase traditions of their fathers I always think of the Book of Mormon and how generation after generation there were those that fell away because of unbelief and who taught their children to hate the Nephites. I'm proud of those group of kids who decided to leave Amulon's group and join the people of Alma. They are making a turning point in their lives that will effect their posterity.

I think of Nephi who took the time to study out his father's words so he might know if they were true. 1 Nephi 2:16 is I believe Nephi's turning point in his life. Every decision he makes after that is because of that experience. He made a choice and the path of his posterity's life followed. Laman and Lemuel also made a choice and their posterity followed that.

But then again, I love turning points in lives and where the traditions of the fathers are corrected and suddenly someone steps up to the plate and says to these traditions, "No more." That is why King Lamoni and King Lamoni's father's stories are one of my favorites. What a change and transformation they went through as a result thousands were converted and peace was restored. Not only that but they taught their children and those children were the valiant stripling warriors.

To go along with this, just a quick personal note. I want to establish my own legacy of righteousness. It begins today even though I do not have a family of my own yet, what I do now will effect how I teach them and the kind of example I want to be. Part of the reason why I write in my journal is for my own sake to see the Lord's hand in my life that day but also for my posterity's sake that they will know that their mother, grandmother, great-grandmother knew the truth and lived it.

This is my tradition.

2 comments:

  1. You have so many insights into the scriptures that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you really dig into the scriptures...you'll be such a good mom!

    ReplyDelete