"It is in the home that we form our attitudes, our deeply held beliefs. It is in the home that hope is fostered
or destroyed. Our homes are to be more than sanctuaries; they should also be places where God's Spirit can dwell,
where the storm stops at the door, where love reigns and peace dwells."--President Thomas Spencer Monson

Friday, November 18, 2011

Can you hear me now?........Good.

For so long we hear the root to all marriage problems come from lack of communication but after taking a marriage class and studying communication this week it's not that people lack on communication but the way they interpret it and how we portray it. Communication ranges from so many areas that it's hard to pick up the silent cues. Just from a wink to a eyes narrowing can express a variety of what we're feeling and thinking. Usually non verbal is the most effective. Our body language speaks louder than words.

My favorite part of this week was learning about counseling with our councils. I remember in my house when there was a family council I knew it meant serious business and I secretly loved them. I guess I was always interested in things like that. I remember my Dad presided and even at an early age my parents included us in decision making. That made an impact on me on I was viewed in the family as having a role to contribute.

I loved learning how the Brethern counsel together. I've heard Elder Bednar say that in one meeting Elder Oaks had this idea and presented it and the Brethern pulverise it. And Elder Oaks took it graciously and thanked the Brethern for his opinion. To me that would take a lot of humility to think you had this great idea and then to have it destroyed in a way by your peers.

It's interesting that they get at the temple early to chat with each other about their families and such. They sing hymns (I Need Thee Every Hour is the most frequent sung) and then they pray. After they discuss then they close with a prayer and have chocolate or pie! Now that it is a God sent plan for any counsel meeting :) I just had a meeting with my directors for service activities and I was thinking how much better it would have been with chocolate :)

Overall I hope to take counsel from the Brethern on how to effectually counsel our leaders but most importantly our families. These are the principles governed by God and they are the use for our benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment